The real deal
Good health does not come in some slick smoothie package or pricey weight loss program. Don’t believe the hype. Dietary fads come and go (celery juice, anyone?). We need something that lasts longer and has stood the test of time. And that’s what I bring to the table.
The secret is right under our noses
The key is looking to the past for clues on how to live today. Our ancestors were hale, hardy, strong, fertile, experiencing vibrant health. We live with anxiety, gut issues, depression, fatigue, food allergies and more. What did our ancestors know that we do not? This is what I dig into: the wisdom of the past for secrets on healthy living. The good news? We can live this way, too---whether we live in the city or country, in an apartment or farmhouse. Following ancestral health practices is not complicated or expensive. It is within our grasp.
I want you to live your best life, 100%, at any age and stage. Everything I learn and incorporate into my own life, I bring to you. I am an integrative nutrition health coach, certified by the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and a fitness professional, certified by the American Council on Exercise. But my education has not stopped there.
What flipped the switch for me
My story begins before I was even born. My mom was exposed to the German Measles while I was in utero and the doctors warned her that I would be born with some serious birth defect. And I was! I was born with a hole in my heart between the lower two ventricles. Blood was flowing in a direction it shouldn’t. As a kid, I wasn’t allowed to over-exert myself. I was closely monitored until the hole was repaired by open-heart surgery when I was nine years old. (Yes, just nine years old! I was scared, as you can imagine!)
After the surgery, and post-op recovery period, I was told I could do anything I wanted to do. And what I wanted to do is to take care of this body of mine, and later that passion grew into a desire to help others do the same.
At first I was just all about working out, leading group fitness classes. I still do that, but soon learned there were more pieces to the wellbeing puzzle. In 2008, I came across the Weston A. Price Foundation (WAPF) and I learned about the work of Dr. Price. He is the dentist/researcher/explorer who traveled the world to find the healthiest people & document their dietary habits. What he discovered turned my world upside down. I started eating the Wise Traditions way and have never looked back.
My family and I feel nourished, healthy, and happy. And I’m so psyched about this way of living that I have joined hands with WAPF to launch and host the Wise Traditions podcast. I have also launched my Holistic Hilda brand to spread the word that living ancestrally is key to good health. And if you’re not into dieting, that’s great! The Wise Traditions diet is amazing and includes eating real, whole foods, avoiding overly processed foods, enjoying lots of traditional dietary fats (like lard, tallow, butter), fermented foods, animal products and nutrient-dense foods like that. So it’s not really “dieting,” per se.
But the truth is, there is MUCH more to wellness than food, so there are lots of ways you can tweak your way of living to improve your health, without worrying about what you put into your mouth. My holistic approach includes exposure to sun, cold therapy, an emphasis on sleep, spirituality, mitigating EMF/RF exposure, and more. And many of these elements are just as important (if not more) as the food you put into your body!
If you want deep science and how the MTHFR pathway interacts with choline, I’m not your girl. But if you want practical take-aways that will improve your health and inspire you to make the changes needed to live at 100%, stick with me!
What I do
- Share best practices and health biohacks
- Interview experts for insights on healthy living
- Take adventures and bring the places and people I meet to you
- Point to traditional ways to help you improve your sleep, sync your circadian rhythm, nourish your body, etc.
- Give you my honest opinion on trends, products, experiences
This site is for you if:
- you want concrete ideas that will move the needle for your health
- you are willing to try something new
- you are looking for simple health solutions
- you are tired of dietary fads
- you believe that our ancestors have wisdom that cannot be measured by a microscope
- you trust your intuition
I commit to bring to you the best of what I discover. Listen to the podcasts, read my blog posts, follow me on social media.
Occasionally I will promote a product or company that I believe will be useful to you. You can take it or leave it. Most of the health recommendations I make are free, purposefully so.
So, take what you find here and apply it. And you will be that much closer to living your best life at 100%!
Random facts about me
1) I’ve had like a million careers! I was a translator for INTERPOL, a stay-at-home mom (one of my faves), a worship leader at several churches, a regional director for a fitness ministry called Body & Soul!
2) I fell into podcasting quite by accident (though I’ve always loved communication). Now the Wise Traditions podcast has had over 2 million downloads and it’s going strong.
3) I always thought my first book would be about health, but it’s about podcasting! It’s called “Podcasting Made Simple.” If you want to start a show, it gives you the how-to’s in 7 easy steps. If you’d would enjoy one-on-one coaching, I do that, too! (Just reach out to me through this site for a free 15-minute consult and then we can talk through the 3-phone call coaching program I offer.
4) My book’s co-author, Charlie Birney, was the first one to call me “Holistic Hilda” and that’s how the name stuck! My logo (a sparkler) reflects my desire to be a guide and bring energy, warmth, light, and fire to the wellness community.
5) I had four kids in five years. Yes, my core expanded and deflated so many times, I felt like an accordion! My kids are now good friends because they’re so close together in age, so I feel like it worked out.
6) My “guilty pleasure” is really eating everything and doing whatever the heck I want! So, actually there’s no guilt involved at all! I have never felt so strong and good and this is a big part of my “why.” I want everyone to feel this way!
Thanks so much for reading this far! If what I’ve shared resonates with you, I’m psyched! There’s nothing I love more than making new friends. Let’s journey to our best lives together. There’s still lots to discover. So, join me! Just scroll down on my home page and subscribe to my site.
You’ll hear from me just about once a month. (If you want to hear from me weekly, listen to the podcast!)
Adventure is out there (to coin a phrase)! And living ancestrally is truly an adventure. I’m glad we get to do it together!