These next three weekends, I’m speaking at three different conferences: Take Back Your Health, DC Podfest, and the Wise Traditions conference. I’m SUPER excited because each of these has to do with two things I am absolutely passionate about: wellness and podcasting.
As I am preparing to introduce myself to a bunch of people at these events, it struck me that there are a LOT of things that even people who know me don’t know about me. So I picked lucky “13” random facts about my life to share with you today. These are bits and pieces that just might surprise you! They appear in no particular order. They are a sneak peek into who I am and may give you insight into why I do what I do.
1. I had open-heart surgery when I was nine years old, to repair a congenital birth defect.
2. I used to be a translator for INTERPOL.
3. I play the guitar, the tambourine, the chicken shake (don’t ask), and am the lead singer in a band.
4. For one week in high school, I worked for Coca-Cola, passing out samples at a conference. Irony alert.
5. I never planned to name my business “Holistic Hilda.” I had another name in mind and my website guy nixed it. I told him that my friend, Charlie Birney, once called me “Holistic Hilda.” And he was like “That’s IT! People will remember Holistic Hilda!”
6. I was never on any sports teams growing up—but I was on the pom pom squad/dance team!
7. A consistent theme on my elementary school report cards (besides good grades) was the comment “Talks too much.”
8. I had my four kids in five years. (I knew nothing about child spacing at the time; don’t judge.)
9. My husband, Mitch, is exactly one foot taller than me. I am 5’2” and he is 6’2”.
10. I wrote my goals down decades ago and becoming an author was one of them! (I thought my first book would be about health. Instead, it’s “Podcasting Made Simple.” The health book?! It’s still in the works…)
11. I’m 100% Latina—my mom is from Mexico, my dad from Cuba—but I was born and raised in the U.S.
12. Making kombucha intimidates me. I still haven’t ever made my own batch.
13. I get enthusiastic about the smallest things & tend to jump up and down, belting the tune to “Are you ready for this?” when I celebrate with my family.
Comment below and tell me how many of these surprised you! And then tell me something about you that might surprise me!
Hilda Labrada Gore is a certified Integrative Nutrition health coach and the author of “Podcasting Made Simple.” She is the host and producer of the Wise Traditions podcast, sponsored by the Weston A. Price Foundation for wise traditions in food, farming, and the healing arts. She is also a fitness professional, and the DC Metro Regional Director for Body & Soul Fitness. She lives in D.C. with her husband, Mitch, their children, and their cat and dog.